Tuesday, August 5, 2014

A Thought: What Faith Can Do


I was watching my baby girl the other day sitting on the couch. She has no fear. She will go right up to the edge of the seat and sit. She never considers that fact that she might roll over the edge and fall to the floor. My other children were the same way, until the fell a couple of times. It seems like with knowledge comes fear and we also loose the ability to have faith a little bit as well. My 2nd oldest son is deathly afraid of the dark. He just knows that something terrible lurks in it, but the moment my hand locks in his he will go anywhere. He has no fear, however if walking across the basement our hands come unclasped he freezes and calls for me. I went through a period of 3 years where I was deathly afraid to do some of the most common things in life. I look back now and I can easily laugh at myself, but I was alone. I turned my back on God and walked on my own. I did okay for several years until my world fell apart. All the things that I thought were so certain and I did not fear came rising up and were sitting in front of my face every single day. I turned to things that were crutches that got me the night but during the day was a different story. I supposed that if I had not asked for help then I would have started using my crutches during the day falling further and darker down the rabbit hole. I turned to men and women for help, and they turned their backs on me. I was crushed. I did not understand why my world was falling apart. It was because I built it on sand and not a rock. So in a last ditch attempt I prayed to God. I prayed hard, I said I was sorry, I begged for help and wisdom. Slowly things came around. It was a pretty deep hole and with time I climbed out. There were a few missteps and setbacks because when things would start going good I would stop listening to God. Once I began to start sinking again I would remember where I got me and where God wanted to take me. I would tell God I was sorry, ask for forgiveness and start moving forward again. I no know a peace like no other. I still have bad days. I still make mistakes but my faith is strong and with God by my side I know that I am going to be okay.

Matthew 14:22-36

22Then he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24but the boat by this time was many furlongs distant from the land, beaten by the waves; for the wind was against them. 25And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. 26But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear. 27But immediately he spoke to them, saying, "Take heart, it is I; have no fear." 28And Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, bid me come to you on the water." 29He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus; 30but when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me." 31Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, "O man of little faith, why did you doubt?" 32And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God." 34And when they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret. 35And when the men of that place recognized him, they sent round to all that region and brought to him all that were sick, 36and besought him that they might only touch the fringe of his garment; and as many as touched it were made well.

No comments:

Post a Comment