Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Thought: Stuff That Keeps Getting In the Way

There are times when I find myself just spending my days taking care of “stuff”. I move it, clean it, work on it, work with it, play with it and all other kinds of “its” with my “stuff”. God wants our focus to be on him. Not because he is a complete ego maniac but because he knows that we are easily distracted. I have two young boys and all I used to hear about was video games. When they would play, what they would play, how they would play, they would get angry and mistreat one another if they interfered with each’s video games. So I put it to a stop and put them on high restriction where they could only play on the weekends when all of there chores and responsibilities were taken care of. An amassing thing happened they slowly began to think of other things. It was easy to teach them because video games weren’t lingering in their mind. From time to time they still slip and want to binge but for the most part they are more focused on important things.

God doesn’t care if you have money, material possessions or power. What does concern him though is that if we spend too much time acquiring such things then we spend less time doing what is really important. See this would works pretty good but it works a whole lot better when we care for one another. If we start focusing on things of man then we loose focus of love. I used to idolize guitars and music. There were never enough guitars hanging on my wall. I spent all my free time searching for the next purchase. Everything was kept in balance by my music and guitars. Problem was guitars weren’t perfect. On a bad day my guitars couldn’t give me advice on how to act. Because I was focused on collecting guitars and playing music so much I missed out on problems in my life when they were small and I didn’t notice till they were large and hard to handle. 

When God says every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. “, this means that those who leave behind desires men and women have and focus God’s mission they will easily enter the kingdom of heaven because they will have taken on a life of sacrifice and love instead of one worshiping “idols” by means of collecting “stuff”, money or power. You can get into heaven rich, poor, powerful, nobody, with everything or nothing the key is that you love God with all your heart and love everyone as you would want to be loved. God doesn’t want us to focus on things he wants us to focus on him and how to love and that is the guide and map to get into heaven. He sent Jesus down with some pretty good lessons on how to live. I suggest reading his lessons in the Bible. I have taken Jesus as my savior, my hero, the person I base my life on and who I look up to. Am I perfect? No, I make mistakes all the time but God doesn’t expect us to be perfect. All we have to do is ask for forgiveness and try to do better. God already loves us. He just wants us to be the best versions of ourselves that we can be. 

Matthew 19:23-30

23And Jesus said to his disciples, "Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." 25When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?" 26But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." 27Then Peter said in reply, "Lo, we have left everything and followed you. What then shall we have?" 28Jesus said to them, "Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of man shall sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. 30But many that are first will be last, and the last first.

No comments:

Post a Comment