Friday, August 15, 2014

A Thought: Sacrifice

Thank you Mom, I know it wasn’t easy and I know I didn’t make it any easier but you shepherded me through the tough times and the good. You let me grow inside of you. You could have thrown me away but you didn’t. You had faith, you believed in me before you even met me. After my arrival you kept me out of harms way and taught me about the world. You taught me manners and introduced me to God. Even through the years when I was lost you never gave up. You encouraged me to move forward and not give up. You encouraged me to pray in my darkest hours and when I scoffed at the notion you still never gave up. When I finally came around you were there waiting as always with open arms waiting for me to tell you about my days. Rarely do you ask for anything but you are always ready to serve. Now with my own children you show special love and care and protect them whenever you can. You teach them whenever you can. You always do all you can. 

Sometimes I wonder what it is like to do pure sacrifice. Moms seem to do it everyday. I sacrifice my time and interests, sure I would love to work on some music or writing but I put it away to take care of my children, but to let another living thing grow inside and feed off you is a real sacrifice. The bigger a baby in the womb gets the less a mother can do. A child completely takes over your life and though parents may not understand its for the better. 

Sacrifice is love and it’s exactly the type of love that God wants. If you see someone hungry he wants us to feed them. Don’t think about why that person is homeless or what they did to get there. He calls us to take care of them. That screaming child in the store that drives us nuts, he wants us to have compassion and patience rather than judging a child or parental skills. That car that is driving slowly down a road that is hard to pass on, you just want to cuss them out and fly by waving a solitary finger, but it’s a reminder that you shouldn’t be so rushed. You should be careful because your life is precious, take care of it. Sacrificing what we want for something else is humbling but uplifting to the ones we humble ourselves for. Sometimes I wonder if I do enough, and I will tell you I don’t, but I have opportunities to make good or do good everyday. When I learn to sacrifice I learn bit by bit what is really important in this world. Love is important, people are important, the earth and all that inhabits is important and it all comes from God. He made a beautiful world and we get the privilege as humans to live in it and take care of it but that requires sacrifice. When walking I see trash on the ground I pick it up. In my yard I plant trees and plants to give back to me but also others. When I see someone in need I help. When I see someone frustrated behind me on the road I make it easy to pass and pray that they get to their destination safely. Jesus was a pretty cool guy. He didn’t ask me to buy anything. He didn’t try and pawn anything off on me. Jesus taught me that love makes the world a better place, that I am important, that I should forgive as much as possible cause I never know when I will be the one needing forgiveness. Jesus taught me to love God for he has given me the gift of life and this world. Jesus taught me that if I love everyone I meet like myself and that if I can get that to catch hold and get everyone else on board doing the same thing with God that we truly can see a glimpse of heaven on earth. God doesn’t expect perfection, but he does want us to sacrifice what we want sometimes what our “flesh” desires and love each other.  

Luke 1:39-56

39In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a city of Judah, 40and she entered the house of Zechari'ah and greeted Elizabeth. 41And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit 42and she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44For behold, when the voice of your greeting came to my ears, the babe in my womb leaped for joy. 45And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfilment of what was spoken to her from the Lord." 46And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, 47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, 48for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden. For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed; 49for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. 50And his mercy is on those who fear him from generation to generation. 51He has shown strength with his arm, he has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts, 52he has put down the mighty from their thrones, and exalted those of low degree; 53he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent empty away. 54He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, 55as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his posterity for ever." 56And Mary remained with her about three months, and returned to her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment