Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Thought: The Gift of Sweaty Funk Nasty

Yesterday I went to work and I was struck with a decision to make. I work in a very dirty messy environment and my job it is to clean and fill in wherever needed. I approached my area for the moment and it was completely trashed. The person responsible for that area to clean was gone on vacation. His fellow co-workers in his team had not gotten there yet, and I wasn’t sure if they were going to. At my work there is a culture of, “This is my box that of things I do and anything outside of it I don’t touch”. It was a very hot day outside and this place was sheltered from breeze. What did I do? I grabbed a shovel and started digging. Wheel barrel after barrel I finally got it clean in between the work I was doing. I had the ability to help and so I did. I only hope that someone saw I was working outside my box and decided maybe to start doing the same.

God definitely doesn’t like lazy. He understands that we all have different gifts and abilities and disabilities but he doesn’t want us standing idle in the fields or in the Church. He wants us involved. He wants us to take care of ourselves. He wants us to take care of others out of love. Also he wants us to take care of his Church by speaking his word not only in his house but especially outside of it. He wants to make sure that we help him touch all, help all, welcome all into his Church. Its easy to be idle, to goto Church and then come home and not think of God until the next Sunday, but that is not what God wants. God wants everyone at his house/table so that he can share his gifts. We not only help others by sharing his word of love and compassion, but we also get a deeper understanding of his love and ways as we work to bring God to others. 

2 Thessalonians 3:6-10, 16-18

6Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us. 7For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us; we were not idle when we were with you, 8we did not eat any one's bread without paying, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not burden any of you. 9It was not because we have not that right, but to give you in our conduct an example to imitate. 10For even when we were with you, we gave you this command: If any one will not work, let him not eat. 16Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in all ways. The Lord be with you all. 17I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. This is the mark in every letter of mine; it is the way I write. 18The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment