Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Thought: Is Your Brain Burning?

I can recall a moment when I was considering becoming a full on hardcore christian. I had been raised in the church but because of my bull-headedness and free will I decided to go it my own way. I was okay for a while but trying to do my own “God thing” didn’t work out so well. I made bad choices and over time slowly wandered off the path to the point that I was so far out into the tall weeds that I had no idea where I was or where I was going. Coming back I wanted to remain low key but the more I studied the more I realized that wasn’t for me. Heading back to a formal Church was overwhelming. Words from my past snapped in front of my face. Rules, rules, rules, its not that I didn’t want to follow them but it was that I didn’t know if I could keep them all in check. Then one day I was reading my Bible and it came to me actually in a verse. 

Mark 12:30
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’

Mark 12:31
The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

That pretty much summed it up as I still read today I can hear these words in every lesson that I learn from Jesus. Its my goto in case of doubt in my day. When at a crossroads I think of these words. And like a good leader Jesus led by example. He came and found wonderful men ready to love and spread the word of love. As we read they were not perfect men. There isn’t such a thing but he chose them anyway and taught them, loved them and served them. Eventually Jesus died for us. He came to teach and love to serve us so that we could learn a better way and when the people of the day refused him, they killed him. He could have run away, he could have ascended into heaven but instead he decided to do the most loving thing. He took the blame for all of us, even the ones not born yet and let man kill him. It wasn’t a quick death either he was beaten, spit on, mocked and then he had to lug his own cross across town (which he did eventually get some help) where he was then nailed to his cross and then stabbed in the side. I don’t remember the exact day but when I put together that God just wants us to love him and each other and then he died over it my brain completely fried for a second. I hear people say all the time “God is all about rules and doesn’t want you to have any fun”, no thats not true. God loves you like a parent. Being a parent I can now understand so much. I don’t want my children to get hurt so I make rules to keep them safe. If the break the rules I punish them to let them know that I am serious. I don’t want them to get hurt so I don’t let them jump on the couch. I want them to be happy so I teach them to not do drugs. God gave us free will. He is basically saying, “This is what I want you to do, you can do whatever you want, but if you don’t follow my rules you can’t live in my house.” I have tried living on both sides of the line. I even spent time walking it dipping my toe into either side for a while. I will tell you that all that I gave up to live on God’s side was well worth it. I am full and happy. Do I miss anything? No, but my body does still crave some of that stuff from time to time. Am I perfect? No, I still make some pretty stupid mistakes but God loves me and all I have to do is go to him honestly and say that I am sorry. I ask for forgiveness and he does forgive because he loves. And so thats how I try and walk through the world every day. I try my best to love each and everyone I meet as I love myself. 

John 15:12-17
12"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 17This I command you, to love one another.



No comments:

Post a Comment