Friday, August 22, 2014

A Thought: Choosing, the Brain Teaser of All Time


I was watching a rerun of Big Bang Theory last night. It was about when Sheldon had to choose between PS4 and Xbox One. It was hilarious to watch, even for the second time but odd that also arrived at a time when I have a decision myself. Do I keep the job I have or try and move on? The fact is that we have lots of decisions to make everyday. Most are easy, I myself will way the pros and cons of each possible outcome. Usually a good choice makes itself perfectly clear. Its when we get hung up on decisions that seem to be even that are hard. Don’t fret the little stuff, problem is sometimes we forget what the really big things are. Mary (mother of Jesus) had a big decision. Help God or refuse, live her life as she was or become an unwed mother in a time when adultery could get you stoned to death. Wrapping ourselves up in what car to buy, what job to work and guitar strings to use is really of no consequence. Yes, could any of those decisions prove to not work out the way we want? Yes, but they are easily, learned from, corrected and we can move forward. 

The real important stuff is what we decide to anchor our life on. I was once a man of consumption. Not many times did I think about what I was putting out in the world. After a divorce that almost emotionally leveled me I began to take stock of what and who I was. Looking hard in that mirror I decided that I became a rather ugly person. Slowly I started to change myself. There were some set backs, but I changed my job, where I lived and my attitude on how to live my life. All of these things I anchored on God. I really started to learn about Jesus and started to follow his teachings. My life is now more full and happy. I am sure that there are some out there shaking their heads. Some may think that changing jobs is not a small thing. I know I used to feel the same way because that was my world. That is what I anchored my life on. Now I anchor my life on loving God, following Jesus’s teachings, loving everyone I meet and helping all I can with whatever I have. The rest falls in place where it needs to. I care about other things but decisions are now easier because I have a rock everything is built on, and its funny how if I find myself having a hard time making a decision it probably not that important at all.

Luke 1:26-38

26In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. 28And he came to her and said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you!"29But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and considered in her mind what sort of greeting this might be. 30And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. 32He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, 33and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there will be no end." 34And Mary said to the angel, "How shall this be, since I have no husband?" 35And the angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God. 36And behold, your kinswoman Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. 37For with God nothing will be impossible." 38And Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment