Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Thought: Falling On My Face

I remember one time I went to work and I was having a really great day. I was on top of the world and very confident in what I was doing. I thought that I could do no wrong and any troubles that came my way would be no sweat. Then, reality struck, I like being grounded in life. It seems like every time I think I have the world by the tail and I start becoming proud is when I am most likely to fail. I have come to the point where I flex my humility muscle as much as possible. I try and make myself take a step back several times a day. Humility works well for me in so many circumstances. 

When someone asks me for help I act humble and do whatever I can to help. I find it puts them at ease. When they may have been feeling ashamed asking for help they now feel secure that they are not alone.

When I receive praise remaining humble helps me from getting a big head. Its easy to think that you are everything when receiving praise, but basking in the praise to long can alienate you from others. 

I find that humility is the cornerstone of love. Love is putting others before yourself. I find its hard to love well when I am proud of myself because I can get caught in an endless cycle of loving myself instead of others. I also find that them more I love others the more I receive. 

I feel that when I am ashamed I am most easily humbled and I can understand what is truly important. Rather than hiding from my failures I can examine them and learn from them. 

Being humble around others that have made mistakes makes them less defensive. They are more apt to move forward because they don’t have to play in a contest of “defending actions” and can find peace and learn themselves. 

I find being humble in front of my children makes them feel secure when they realize they don’t know everything and are not afraid of admitting when they need help. They learn that a family is not several individuals but a team of people that love each other and put each other before each other.

And most importantly when I humble myself I am open to learn more about the world, the people in it and the sheer magnificence of the world. As I sit back and look at the world and how everything and everyone interplays I find true art. I find true purpose. I find peace because it is designed so well. No matter how man tries to mess it up it still works rather well. There is where I find my belief in God and with the teachings of Jesus I learn how to love. 

Matthew 18:1-5, 10, 12-14

1At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" 2And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them, 3and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Whoever humbles himself like this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5"Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me; 10"See that you do not despise one of these little ones; for I tell you that in heaven their angels always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven. 12What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? 13And if he finds it, truly, I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. 14So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.

No comments:

Post a Comment