Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Thought: Hear the Calling


I always get annoyed when the phone rings. It seems to always ring when my hands are busy and there are a million things that I need to do. Usually when I answer the phone its not for me or it is some telemarketer selling something that I have no need for, but each day I prepare myself for any call that comes to me. I don’t know if you do but I used to live in a “box” and anything outside of my “box” I would not entertain. “Is it my responsibility?” No, then I would move on. I said no to a lot of things. The problem with that is that isn’t a very loving way to walk through the world. I find that this comes in most to play at work. God wants me to love him with all my body, mind and soul and to love others as I love myself. Loving people doesn’t mean turning them away. It means going out of my way when maybe I don’t want to. I do this for my children all the time. They need things or help with tasks and I take the time to patiently, lovingly teach them. Now when I see things that need to be done or things I could do to help others I try very hard to take the time to do it. I still have to think of my priorities but really, I can spare that $5 bill in my pocket and give it to someone in need. When I see that one of my fellow coworkers struggling to get their tasks done I help. I strongly believe that from the beginning of time that God was trying to get us all to “pay it forward” in an effort to make earth a little like heaven. So I walk through each day actively listening for God’s call. He asks really for so little. Whenever I do get frustrated I look to Mary and how she unflinchingly said yes to God. She bore a child out of wedlock at a time that is was a major shame to do so. She raised a child that she watched beaten, spit on and killed in front of her. Through it all she was devoted to God. She is a true role model.

Luke 1:26-33

26In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. 28And he came to her and said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you!"29But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and considered in her mind what sort of greeting this might be. 30And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. 32He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, 33and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there will be no end." 

No comments:

Post a Comment