Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Thought: Confrontation

I went to work one day and got a strange look from someone. I thought nothing of it. Most of the time I think my perceptions are hypersensitive. As I proceeded through my day though I everyone kept looking at me weird. No words just strange words all day. When I did have conversations they seemed truncated, under pause and down rite off. Turns out I had done something in my new tasks that was causing alarm to some people because no one in my position had ever done that before. 

I was grateful that someone finally took the time to speak with me so that I knew what was going on. I was beginning to feel like I was going crazy or at the least was back in 4th grade and someone had stuck a “kick me” sign on my back. In an era where we have all this technology and have several ways to reach out to others no one seems to talk about “sensitive” things anymore. It seems as though we live in a time where no one wants to be wrong, called wrong or speak to others if they see someone in the wrong. Its good that we don’t want to hurt each others feelings but we also at the same time run the risk of letting peers, friends and family of making big mistakes if we don’t show our concerns early. 

No one should be afraid to speak to anyone. I have always thought that if you speak with respect then you should have no problem. Its the rash, brash and even down right rude comments that usually boil over into negative feelings. God wants us to love each other and part of loving is looking out for each others interests. If I lecture in a condescending tone to someone I care about then they are not likely to take my concern seriously. It will be discarded and ignored altogether. If I speak with love and respect then it is more likely to be absorbed, considered and acted upon. If I happen to be wrong in my assessment approaching my loved one with respect will open a dialogue and I will learn the background and possibly overcome my concerns. 

In serious instances sometimes we need backup. If someone won’t listen to you when you caution them lovingly then bring someone with you. I might be stubborn enough to ignore someone if they approach me and tell me I am doing something out of line but if two people approach me later I will definitely pause and listen. If someone refuses to ignore living morally then it is best to just step aside. We eventually become the company we keep so be careful who you surround yourself with.

Speaking with love is as important as listening with love. Some I have met seem to be on perpetual defense. They never want to be wrong and will defend anything to the death it seems. I have a 5yr old and he talks like an unending gushing waterfall. I have to try hard to really listen to everything he says because through the talk of, bad guys, video games and art ideas he occasionally talks of things that are important morally. If I just let everything slide by dismissing it all as verbal nonsense I would miss many a teachable moment with him. God loves us all and he knows that the easiest way for us to be happy is that we should all take care of each other. He sent Jesus with lessons on how to love to guide us. God is planning a great party in the end and he would hate if some missed out because we didn’t take the time to take care of each other. 

Matthew 18:15-20
15"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them."


No comments:

Post a Comment