Monday, October 6, 2014

Stranded on the Side of the Road in a Box

I see so many people that live in boxes. It’s a natural thing to do, we have a geographical location, certain habits like work and family and set of physical attributes. God calls us to get outside of our box though. It can be difficult lending a helping hand to people we don’t know and that look different than us, people outside of our box. God calls us to love all because he knows that if we can get that down then we can truly make this world a better place. It can be hard to reach out to those in need. I remember when I was in college I was coming home from work one day my car broke down. I lived about 30 miles from work. It was about 5am so there was nothing to do but get out and walk. It wasn’t so bad at first but I started to tire. Cars would pass by and I would look to them for help but they would not stop. It was disheartening but I understood it was early in the morning I was, I was a young man they didn’t know. For all they figured I was up to no good. What was disturbing was the fact that I started to see people I did know. I tried to wave to them and ask them for help but they just hurriedly drove by. I had to walk about 15 miles and then 2 miles from home a man that me and my father worked for recognized me and gave me a ride. I didn’t even recognize him but I was grateful. I was so glad for the ride, for even though I was so close to home, my legs were tired and about to give out after a long nights work and such a long walk. People are dying from hunger, from living on the street homeless and jus trying to make ends meet. We as people are given so many talents and so much ability. God gave us these gifts to not only help ourselves but to help each other. Love can solve so much it is a gift that is free. God gives it so freely to us each day all we have to do is to accept it and all he asks is that we give it back to him and to also pay it forward.

Luke 10:25-37

25And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" 26He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read?" 27And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself." 28And he said to him, "You have answered right; do this, and you will live." 29But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" 30Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. 32So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was; and when he saw him, he had compassion, 34and went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; then he set him on his own beast and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, `Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.' 36Which of these three, do you think, proved neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?" 37He said, "The one who showed mercy on him." And Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

No comments:

Post a Comment