Monday, October 27, 2014

Blinded by the Light, Love or RULES?


Sometimes we ignore the important stuff and we don’t even know it. I lost my backup glasses bout a month ago but I had my main pair so I was like, “Its okay I’ll look for them tomorrow.” Well, this morning I was out on my morning run and as I walked down the drive on my cool down I took off my pull over and OFF they went. Now I tried to find my main pair outside but being that they are dark frames at 5:40am and leaves all over the ground I couldn’t find them. I am blind without my glasses, so off in search of my backups. I found them and I am fine but my morning would have been a lot more smooth if I had done the looking weeks ago. Church can be the same way. We become Christians and try to go to Church every week, follow all the rules and stay away from temptation but we can get lost in the process. We can get so lost in “staying away form sin” that we can ignore others in need. I have seen myself and others create a little fortress around their heart and faith while trying to follow the “rules”. Know this God has one rule in two parts. Love God with all your mind, body and soul. The second love your neighbor as you love yourself. We were all lost at one point in time (maybe even right now) and God wants us to help each other find our way through LOVE. Acting with love and speaking with love. As Christians our goal is not ONLY to get ourselves to heaven but to ALSO bring along as many of our “neighbors” as we possibly can. Might we get shunned in the process? Yeah, plenty of times I have been open about my faith and others scoffed, even ridiculed me but I don’t mind. I know where I am trying to get to. So when I see those in need I offer help because God asks me to and that is what Jesus taught. Times when I am nervous and unsure I get help from the Holy Spirit to find my way. If we all treated each other as we wished to be treated then I have no doubt famine would disappear, poverty wouldn’t be as nearly as bad and the lost would feel found. Each one of us can change the world one small step at a time, together in community, in communion with one another, through God’s Church, in and outside of the walls of a church. So if you find yourself hung up on the “rules” of the Church remember Jesus made it so simple. When in doubt love.

Luke 13:10-17

10Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. 11And there was a woman who had had a spirit of infirmity for eighteen years; she was bent over and could not fully straighten herself. 12And when Jesus saw her, he called her and said to her, "Woman, you are freed from your infirmity." 13And he laid his hands upon her, and immediately she was made straight, and she praised God. 14But the ruler of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had healed on the sabbath, said to the people, "There are six days on which work ought to be done; come on those days and be healed, and not on the sabbath day." 15Then the Lord answered him, "You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the sabbath untie his ox or his ass from the manger, and lead it away to water it? 16And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?" 17As he said this, all his adversaries were put to shame; and all the people rejoiced at all the glorious things that were done by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment