Friday, October 24, 2014

A Big Old Slice of Humble Pie? Mmm


Being humble today is such a hard thing to do. For some reason it seems to be a sin anymore to be wrong. Consequently I guess, I have seen people try and defend their actions to no end to prevent from being “wrong”. We are human therefore we will make mistakes. Anymore if I am wrong and I know it, I just admit it right away. I humble myself and say, “Sorry, you are so right I messed up I will try my hardest to not do that again.” If I get into an argument with my wife and she calls me out on a short coming on how I act, I don’t defend I acknowledge. “Yes, honey I am sorry. I am bad about “X” I will try and change my behavior.” I find that when I am willing to be humble and admit mistakes my peers and family are more likely to do the same. It’s funny how we can so easily see the mistakes of others. We can even sometimes see mistakes people will make before they even make them, but we can see our own faults. Jesus taught us to love. He taught that part of loving is forgiving. Forgive someone to no end. No matter how many mistakes they make. In our Lord’s Prayer we say, “Forgive us our sins/trespasses as we forgive those that sin/trespass against us.” That’s a pretty hefty line. We know that we all make mistakes and sometimes our mistake is a real doozy. And we say, “Okay God forgive me like I forgive that guy that cut me off in traffic last week. Forgive me like I forgave that woman for shorting me in the drive thru. Forgive me like I forgive my family member for lying to me.” We all know the world is not a fair place. Largely because it’s filled with humans. So before we look into another’s eyes and skewer them for mistake they have made let us look into our hearts and be humble. Look to God for help. He is ready to give us blessings through grace that he provides. He even made the Church so that we have a place to go to learn more, help others and grow stronger in our faith. Should we turn a blind eye to our brother? No, but we need to examine ourselves, the time we are in and move forward in love, speak with love, don the cloak of humility and spread forgiveness like dew on a spring morning. Covering all so that no one is left behind or left out and maybe through that we can find a little more unity and peace. For one day the age will close and Jesus will return and we will be judged. How well do you forgive?

Luke 12:54-59

54He also said to the multitudes, "When you see a cloud rising in the west, you say at once, `A shower is coming'; and so it happens. 55And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, `There will be scorching heat'; and it happens. 56You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky; but why do you not know how to interpret the present time? 57"And why do you not judge for yourselves what is right? 58As you go with your accuser before the magistrate, make an effort to settle with him on the way, lest he drag you to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the officer, and the officer put you in prison. 59I tell you, you will never get out till you have paid the very last copper."

No comments:

Post a Comment