Friday, September 5, 2014

Trying to Jam in That Square Peg?

Far too many times I have been guilty of trying to stick a round pet in a square hole far too many times. I always say its something that might accomplished but you’re going to make a pretty big mess. I decided a long time ago how I was going to help Jesus. It was my way, not his, and of course my way was flawed and I didn’t accomplish a thing. For years I wrote songs from a  Christian perspective but I would stop short at actually proclaiming the word or where I was coming from. As I walked further and further down that path I got farther and father away from my goal. I wanted to tell stories and enlighten and all I did was take part in far too many nights being surrounded by the excesses in life and eventually succumbing to them. I thought I was getting a taste of the good life, but I was bound in slavery. There was never enough drink, drugs, music or easy relationships. I was empty inside and felt alone. No matter how much I tried to consume I only got hung over, burnt out and no one was around to help when I was in trouble. I was left by the side of the road to die.

God was always waiting for me to come back. I finally did come home and I had to learn life all over again. I had to learn what real love was. That it wasn’t some time in the bedroom but truly caring for someone and putting them before me. To disregard my wants and desires for someone else’s in a righteous way. Instead of looking for a high that was false based on chemical reactions in my brain I found one what was through love and true by studying how to love and more importantly forgive. That fills the hole permanently and spreads from Jesus through me to others and hopefully forward. I learned that a celebration is truly for those that were once lost and now found when they also learn the true meaning of love and forgiveness that comes from God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I know some might think this is stupid. That I am weak, but I don’t care. I have what I want and the suffering has faded. I invite you to a new way. No matter if you think you’re lost or not. Life can be better. 

Luke 5:33-39

33And they said to him, "The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink." 34And Jesus said to them, "Can you make wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? 35The days will come, when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days." 36He told them a parable also: "No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it upon an old garment; if he does, he will tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old. 37And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; if he does, the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. 38But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. 39And no one after drinking old wine desires new; for he says, `The old is good.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment