Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Knowing You Have a Home

Unfortunately there have been a couple of times in my life when I felt I had no place to go. For those that do not know me or my story. I have had a wonderful life. I started out on a great path and great teachers but because of my youth, lack of knowledge and bull-headedness I used my free will to walk off the path and basically become a big dumb stupid jerk for a few years. I have since found my way back and a happiness that I have not know for quite some time and I am rather thankful.

During those years I was off the path I found myself in situations where I felt I had no place to go. I felt that I had no home and that was the beginning of the end for those years lost in "stupidity" as I call it. It was a feeling of hopelessness and emptiness. I never want to feel that feeling again. Being a christian I always feel that I have a home. I take my religion with me wherever I go. If I am lost, have a question or just need someone to talk to I pray. I find my way, my questions get answered though maybe not in the ways that I want and I feel consoled. For those that are new to the faith or haven't entered yet I understand the doubt in my statement. Even myself who was raised in the church and had a strong faith and when to church regularly for years doubted a life with prayer when I felt I had no place to go. My mother even told me to my face that I should pray. I can laugh at myself now for the sour look that I am sure was on my face and doubt that praying would do anything good. I can laugh at myself for I should have known better, but yes prayer does work. You might not like the answers you get but it does work. You have to remember that God is not a Genie. He doesn't just grant wishes. Can he do miracles, yes and I have seen some for sure, but just like I don't give my children candy whenever they ask for it for their own health, sometimes God as our father has to say no sometimes too. I realize that no matter how hard I try I will have a very miro look on life. And with God's view of the macro and his wisdom, sometimes it is best for me not to just get what I want.

None the less I have a home, a place to go in time of need. Sometimes the harder part is finding a church that feels comfortable. That was difficult for me. I finally found a church that feels like home, and I welcome anyone that wishes to join me and my family if they are looking for a place to go. If you already have a church you call home that is awesome! I am so happy for you but don't forget to share. I know that it can be very awkward inviting someone to church. Many believe that you should never talk about religion or politics which is sad because maybe if more lay people talked of such things the world is a better place. If you have a church you call home you should not be afraid to invite others to come with you. For you never know if some of the people you see everyday are lost and alone. If they have that empty place inside that has just the right shape that God can fit into. I have been taught by Jesus that I am to love God with all my might and all my soul and that I should love everyone that I meet as I wish that they would love me.

If you are someone lost and alone you should really try church. Feel free to ask people you know if they go to church and where. Its a lot easier to go somewhere new if you already know some of the people there. However don't be afraid of just blindly walking into a church and attending a service. It can be a rather awesome experience. I have done it myself a time or two and had a pretty good time. Over all Christians who follow their teachings are good people. You might get an odd look but that is usually due to the fact that we are always used to seeing the same people week in and week out. Its not meant to make you feel uncomfortable.

Christians are to live to love and accept and to not judge. If you do find judgement then I am sorry. Please keep in mind that as humans God gave us free will and sometimes we make mistakes. Yes, Christians make mistakes. Christians are not perfect but we are trying to be better than we were yesterday with God's help and Jesus's teachings.

So maybe it is time for you to try something new, but please know that you are never ever alone.

John 6: 37 - 40
37All that the Father gives me will come to me; and him who comes to me I will not cast out.
38For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me;
39and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day.
40For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day."

No comments:

Post a Comment