Monday, November 4, 2013

What's Love Got To Do With It?

John Lennon penned ,"All you need is love". I believe that to be true but I also think that it is more important to give love. I can't count how many times I have diffused a possible hostile situation by staying cool and keeping a warm smile on my face and spoke warm words. So maybe all you need is love but like my mother so aptly taught me it is also better to give than receive and so there for if I want love then I need to put as much of it out there in the world. I find as I grow older more and more of the teachings I learned as a child come from a teacher that taught nearly 2000 years ago. During my years walking off the path and trying to find my own way on my own because I was a "grown up" and thought that I knew it all and could find out on my own what I didn't I seemed to keep coming back to the same place.

For me when I look at the world and see how well it works together. We breathe carbon dioxide which the plant breathe in and release oxygen. How bees and flowers work together to eat survive and decorate the earth, how squirrels and trees have a symbiance together I cant help think that a lot of good planning went into this earth. I work in a factory where we take soybeans and make hundreds of products out of them. Looking at the machinery that it takes and the infrastructure that it takes to distribute those products confirms to me that with no other species doing such a thing on this planet that we are truly chosen to be the planets caretaker and should respect our standing in this biosphere.

Most importantly we should take care of each other. We should help the less fortunate, because as I learned from my mother I will never know when I will be the person down and out and need help. Some call that making good karma. I dunno, for me it is called being a good Christian. As I got older and got back on the path that Christianity has paved I dove into the gospels. I read about how Jesus came. Listened and taught, healed and fed. Most of all I remember over and over again his major there, mercy. While we had been given the 10 Commandments he boiled it down even further. Love God with all your might and all your soul, and love each other as you wished to be loved.

I am not a rich man. I have a growing family and though while hard I find the happiness and joy in teaching my children to love, and spread love. To help those in need for if we do that over and over again it will catch on. It will get "paid forward", and the world can become a better place. So I guess I leave challenging you as I challenge myself every day. To love, listen, not judge but teach and share. Will I be a millionaire? No, but I would rather do my part to make the world a better place. It's like giving a gift everyday waiting to see the look on the receivers face of joy.

Luke 14: 12 - 14

12He said also to the man who had invited him, "When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your kinsmen or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return, and you be repaid.
13But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind,
14and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

No comments:

Post a Comment