Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Who Are You Arguing With?


Last night I was involved in a heated debate with my son. I could see his point of view but he could not see mine. I was willing to work with him but he refused to compromise. After going back and forth he finally was willing to accept my compromise. If he ate his dinner I would let him eat some marshmallows. It’s a time honored tradition that children argue with their parents over eating a well balanced diet. As parents we want our children to have all the building blocks that they need, so that they can become strong and live a long healthy life. A healthy diet is a valuable brick to use to build a foundation for your life. What also seems to be a time honored tradition though is man’s refusal to follow God’s path. Many a man tries to do things their way instead of God’s, and many a man fall short and feel empty trying. Yes, I believe God exists. When I look at the earth I see so much beauty and logic in its creation I find it impossible to believe that this is all just random chance. When I ponder man’s existence and our place in this world I believe that we were made out of love. I truly believe that we have a soul. I believe that it is our duty to take care of this world and love all that is on it. When I read the accounts of Jesus Christ and I read his teachings I believe that he truly was the son of God. I believe that he has been in existence for all time. When I put his teachings into action I see love and life grow. When I see his teachings ignored I see hate, anger and anguish. I believe that God is the real truth. I have tested God and his ways and have reaped what I have sewn from following God’s will vs. my will. I know that some will scoff at this idea. Some will refuse God’s ways. From all I have experience and seen I find God the foundation for a long healthy life full of love and prosperity. I don’t need a million dollars in the bank. I don’t need a fancy possessions. I don’t need a life full of ecstasy reaped from drugs, alcohol or casual sex. What I do desire, what I choose rather, is love. After experiencing God’s love I find that there is nothing else as fulfilling. There is nothing else that I want to build my life upon but that truth. I am not perfect. I am a sinner and with God’s help I learn the value of “eating my vegetables”. I look forward to life eternal past this momentary mortal coil. 

John 1:1-18

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God; 3all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. 4In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7He came for testimony, to bear witness to the light, that all might believe through him. 8He was not the light, but came to bear witness to the light. 9The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world. 10He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world knew him not. 11He came to his own home, and his own people received him not. 12But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God; 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. 14And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father. 15(John bore witness to him, and cried, "This was he of whom I said, `He who comes after me ranks before me, for he was before me.'") 16And from his fulness have we all received, grace upon grace. 17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18No one has ever seen God; the only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.

No comments:

Post a Comment