Monday, December 22, 2014

What Gifts are Waiting for You Under the Tree?


It is often easy to overlook all the beautiful things in the world until they rest right before your feet. Like children on Christmas Day we often hope and wonder what gifts will be under the tree. We wonder what new toys will be put at our feet. The truth is though that each day is like Christmas though we rarely see it. In this land of plenty and opportunity we are insulated from much of the horrors in the world. It becomes taken for granted sometimes and we unfortunately come to expect it. Now that I am a father I cringe when I watch the evening news and I feel oh so thankful that my children live under my protection through God. God has allowed me to put clothes on their backs, food in their tummies and a roof over their heads. Not all are so lucky and I don’t quite understand why the world works the way it does. As I open gifts in this season of giving I know that none is nearly as grand as the gift that unfolds before me when my eyes open at the start of each new day. I don’t need flashy things with lights and buttons when I have the smiles of a content and happiness looking back at me. I am not a wise man with great talents. I am not a perfect soul that shines on a mountain. I am a humble man trying to learn. I am a thankful man trying to do the best with what he has. I am a sinner trying to climb the road to heaven. I have much work to do and many lessons to learn. I was once lost but now found.  I encourage a pause for all. You are all such wonderful people, each made with a purpose and mission. Never has so much love been held waiting in the wings. Yet all we have to do is let it go. Let go of our desires in this world and like Jesus’s mother Mary accept the gifts of our God our father. We may not become rich or famous but we can have a peace and love that fills like nothing else in this world because it’s not of this world. In a world that encourages us to get all we can. I implore you to let all that go and spend some time with Jesus. He was sent for you, a gift for you out of love. Through his teachings true peace awaits. God’s gifts surround us everyday from the sun in the sky to the love in the air. The Holy Spirit waits each day to help guide us through this twisty turvy world. So of all the gifts waiting for you this Christmas season what is the one you are hoping the most for?

Luke 1:46-56

46And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, 47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, 48for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden. For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed; 49for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. 50And his mercy is on those who fear him from generation to generation. 51He has shown strength with his arm, he has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts, 52he has put down the mighty from their thrones, and exalted those of low degree; 53he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent empty away. 54He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, 55as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his posterity for ever." 56And Mary remained with her about three months, and returned to her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment