Thursday, December 18, 2014

Don't You Know What Causes That?



Every  event in our life is an opportunity for something beautiful. Problem is so often we are caught up in our plans that we cannot see it and hearing people say, "Hey the glass is half full", can make you want to punch someone in the face. But just like it can be difficult to see God's beauty in everything it can be hard to see the opportunities. Children are such a beautiful thing. Aside from the moments when a child is being a brat rarely do I hear anyone ever curse a child. The joy and insight alone thy bring into the world brings great richness in lives every where. My wife and I recently found out that we are having another child.  We have been quite disappointed in how much negativity we have been receiving. So many act as if it's the end of something wonderful. We see it as the beginning of something beautiful. We were not trying, we are one of those types of couples that engage in natural family planning. We track my wife's cycle and live a life of discipline. We regard the act of sex a a wonderful gift from God and we respect it. I do not  like the idea of cramming hormones unnaturally into my wife so that we can have as much sex we want. We do not want to use condoms or other devices to prevent God's will to work in our life. We accept that when we have sex that it is meant for bringing life into the world. Yes being intimate is a great part of our relationship but it is not the foundation for our relationship, it is merely one of the benefits from being in a healthy marriage.  In our eyes marriage is the Union of one man and one woman before God WITH the openness to bringing life in the world. We do not hate homosexuals, that as Jesus taught us, would be wrong. We are to love everyone we meet as we love ourselves as Jesus taught. We believe that if we want to be as close as two people can be spiritually, emotionally and physically then we should be responsible and married. We should unite properly before God and choose one partner forever, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, through the good times and the bad. Can life be frustrating? Yes, I don't always understand why life works the way it does, but I realize that after close to forty years on this planet I am merely a toddler in God's realm. I still have much to learn, but iron know this, with each change in my life I have an opportunity. I may no longer have the chance to drive a new 4x4 pickup truck, the odds that will play music for a living are small and vacation plans for this coming summer are over but I have an opportunity. I have the chance to teach someone how to love. I have the chance to teach the next generation to look past differences in people and build Gods love in this world, to bring peace. I have the chance to pass on the importance of feeding the hungry, clothing the poor and tending to the sick. Yes, having a child is a big responsibility and means sacrificing what I want but it is also an opportunity to Gods way and Gods love into the world. I won't be alone. He sent his son with wonderful teachings. He sends the Holy Spirit each day to get through those tough times. I attend mass each week to not only give to my community but to be supported by it. So for those that like to ask so often, "Don't you know what causes that?" Yes I do, God's love causes this and I feel so eternally blessed that he thinks I am worthy and up to the challenge.

Matthew 1:18-25
18Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit; 19and her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. 20But as he considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit; 21she will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." 22All this took place to fulfil what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: 23"Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel" (which means, God with us). 24When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took his wife, 25but knew her not until she had borne a son; and he called his name Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment