Thursday, October 3, 2013

Man on a Mission

     It's amazing the way things are today. We have so many gadgets. Watches, iPads, computers, belts, phones, wallets, purses, jewelry. even our gadgets have gadgets it seems that there are an uncountable number of apps for a cell phone any more. Does anyone even use a phone with a cord anymore, and what about pagers I haven't seen one in ages.

    None the less it would seem absurd in todays society if someone when out into the world with nothing but the clothes on his back and the shoes on his feet. These people do exist but they are considered homeless vagabonds and roam the countryside or city looking for handouts. Imagine if someone were to set off on a journey as Jesus asked some of his disciples so long ago. To go out into the world preaching the word depending on God's guidance and the love of those that you meet. I remember some of the passages from the old testament and reading about the people of old worshiping idols. Sure a cellphone is a wonderful tool but if our life revolves around it to the point that we can't get through our day without it then maybe we need to examine. I know I have gone through periods of "idolizing" my computer. My first laptop was such a fun toy to have that it went everywhere with me, and before I knew it absorbed all of my free time.

     I am sure that this message is new to no one but it is good to periodically take stock in how we spend our free time. More importantly though in this day and age with the tools at our disposal we all have the opportunity to be messengers. If you are called to this is for you to know. In the chaotic world we live in its nice to know that there is still peace out there. I find it in God. In prayer I find a peace that helps everything around me stand still. Belief in God seems to be short in this world and it seems to me we need him most now. With all that I see in the day to day news I can't help be reminded of the books of the old testament. So while I may go on my journey now not on the road from town to town but the internet armed not just with the clothes on my back but my laptop and my free time I bring a message to  you who reads this. There is hope in the world. There is a God and he loves you. His teachings bring real promise, peace and happiness. His is a word of love not hate. Acceptance and welcome not exclusion. Does he have rules? Yes he does but he does forgives our mistakes. I make mistakes everyday. It's okay, God expects this because he has given us free will. We have the ability to choose to believe in him and to practice a religion with him at the center. Because we have free will we can choose what to do. That means that we can make mistakes. It's okay all we have to do is ask for forgiveness. We don't need to be rich, have a certain car or a car period. We don't have to have anything. All we need is to love him with all our heart and all our mind and to treat our neighbors (everyone we meet) with compassion and forgiveness.

Luke 10: 1 - 12
1After this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to come.
2And he said to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.
3Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves.
4Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and salute no one on the road.
5Whatever house you enter, first say, `Peace be to this house!'
6And if a son of peace is there, your peace shall rest upon him; but if not, it shall return to you.
7And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages; do not go from house to house.
8Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you;
9heal the sick in it and say to them, `The kingdom of God has come near to you.'
10But whenever you enter a town and they do not receive you, go into its streets and say,
11`Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet, we wipe off against you; nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near.'
12I tell you, it shall be more tolerable on that day for Sodom than for that town.

No comments:

Post a Comment