Friday, October 25, 2013

Being Mindful of My Surroundings

I can usually tell when it is a good day. I can interpret my children's actions and tell if something is wrong. I love them very much if they are cranky I can tell if it is because they are lacking sleep or are hungry or thirsty or haven't had enough time to just run around be a kid and burn off some energy. I work in a factory and I can tell sometimes with the slightest change in some of the instruments if something is wrong and I need to prememptively change something before things get really bad.

Its funny though that I don't always apply the same observations of my life. It can be hard and the comment, "too close to the situation" comes to mind.

I try very hard any more to examine my life on a daily basis. If I start to feel down, tired, out of sorts I address the symptoms but also look for a larger problem. I find that most of the time the reason I may be "off" is because I am not tending to my daily needs. A solution for many of my ills is prayer.

I know that for many this may seem odd, especially if you do not have a faith or do but do not practice prayer on a regular basis. Trust me, I know, I used to never pray except when things were really bad. Then it was, "Oh God please get me out of this and I promise _____". I never saw the folly in this for some reason. After all I was taught as a Protestant that if I needed something that I should turn to my God in prayer. However now that I am a father myself I can see the problem with that. It's like when 7pm Sunday night right before he is to go to bed my wonderful stepson comes to me and says, "Michael, help I have a 9 week project due tomorrow and I need to get started". I don't mind helping my children when they are in need but what kind of father would I be if I just did their bidding and didn't teach them the meaning of looking ahead and preparing for the things to come in life.

I think that is what God wants me to do. He sent his son and taught so much. To love not judge, to accept and teach to spread the happiness therein. Though I hear so many people grumble when I talk to them about my faith. "Uhg, all those rules I don't want anyone telling me what to do", okay but I find when I break those rules which I can because God has given my free will and I can choose what I want then those are the times when I get into trouble. Like sex, its great but God has told me that I should practice that only with my wife and with care. You can have sex whenever you want. You have free will, but I found that in my past when I was making my own path in the wilderness that I ran into trouble. Sex would propel a relationship faster than it was intended and when oops it didn't work out major feelings were hurt. Embarrassing moments going to the hospital in fear of being sick or the thought of my world turning upside down because an unexpected life may appear in the form of a child. When you bring a life into the world all things change. You are responsible for the creation and the development and happiness of the child. All of which could have been avoided if I would have followed the rule to wait to have sex until I was ready and prepared for such responsibilities.

So when I get off course and I am unhappy I go to prayer and ask for insight. When I am happy I pray and give thanks for what I have and try to stay in check to preserve it. So being mindful of what I am doing is very important for it is the map to where I am going and how I will be along the way and with the guidance of God and the teachings of his son Jesus I find the tough times easier and the good times more prolonged.

Luke 12: 54 - 59
54 He also said to the multitudes, "When you see a cloud rising in the west, you say at once, `A shower is coming'; and so it happens.
55 And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, `There will be scorching heat'; and it happens.
56 You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky; but why do you not know how to interpret the present time?
57 "And why do you not judge for yourselves what is right?
58 As you go with your accuser before the magistrate, make an effort to settle with him on the way, lest he drag you to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the officer, and the officer put you in prison.
59 I tell you, you will never get out till you have paid the very last copper."

No comments:

Post a Comment