Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Thought: “Learning to Learn”

A Thought: “Learning to Learn”


I used to get all upset when I was little cause my father would have me do something, a chore around the house, and I wouldn’t want to do it. Being the typical not-very-sneaky and lazy child I would ask questions and try and get him to do it for me. He realized this and would answer my questions with questions until I got frustrated and figured out how to do it myself. 

That’s kinda how God is. He doesn’t like lazy. He wants you to want it. He wants you to work for it because he knows that if he just gives you whatever you want it life if will mean nothing. You need to earn knowledge and understanding for it to really mean something to you. 

I am now the father of 4 and I find myself doing the same things that my father and mother once did. I have a wonderful son that I have do chores and he will ask me, “How do I do this?” I will tell him and he will redirect with a question trying to get me to “show” him how to do his chores in a ploy to get me to do it for him. Its hard cause I want him to be happy. I want him to have fun, but I know that if I just do everything for him in life that when I am gone he will have no one to take care of him. The thing that makes me the most happy is seeing that my children learn to take care of themselves and live a righteous life. I know that its not easy but when they learn the value their eyes light up with happiness and they feel and abundance of self worth. 

God wants us to learn his ways and to love him and to love others. Yeah there are 10 commandments but basically it all comes down to loving. Love God, cause he loves you and made you. Love yourself because you are something special and have worth, and love everyone else you meet even if they are hard to love. God knows that if we can learn to fill the world with love that we can overcome any obstacle. So just like my father I may get frustrated and not understand things sometimes I know that if I pray and talk to God and read Jesus’s teachings I will find the answers to my problems. And please know that God doesn’t want us to be alone. We are here to love one another and to help one another. Thats part of the reason why we are to goto Church. Yes, Church is the place where we convene to love and worship God, but its also a community of like minded people that can help us in times of need. I highly suggest going to Church. I know that it can be difficult going somewhere you don’t know anyone, but its so worth it. Feel free to even ask one of us “Jesus freaks” you see around from time to time. You might catch us off guard but if you ask us where is a good place to go to church we usually have some ideas. 

But I do encourage you to goto Church somewhere, read the Bible 10 -15 minutes a day and to pray. All these things may seem weird starting out, but once you get started it gets easier and easier. Its kinda like working out. Reading the Bible I would suggest starting in the New Testament. Its the easiest to digest and there is a lot of good stuff to learn there. When you are ready to go deeper you can dive into the Old Testament and learn about where everything came from. Praying, just sit down and talk to God. That’s it, tell him what you are feeling what you are happy about and thankful for and what you are worried about. God will be happy to hear from you. 

Matthew 13:10-17

10Then the disciples came and said to him, "Why do you speak to them in parables?" 11And he answered them, "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12For to him who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 13This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14With them indeed is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which says: `You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive. 15For this people's heart has grown dull, and their ears are heavy of hearing, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should perceive with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and turn for me to heal them.' 16But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear. 17Truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment