Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Smack Me in the Face if I Try to Brag Please

One thing I love to see in life is greatness. Someone who has the ability to do something to a great success.  Often times men and women in the sports realm come to mind. For me it is inspiring to see someone accomplish something difficult. I think to myself,"wow now that is an amazing thing". I am happy to see others succeed and it makes me realize that if I dig deep and push myself that I can become something more, something better than I was yesterday

What can ruin it all is when someone begins to brag. Its as if the more someone trys to inflate what they did the more it deflates the actual accomplishment. I don't mind someone being happy with their success but I find more amazement when the following attitud3e is, "yes, I accomplished this and I am happy, but lets move on the next thing." When I see someone bragging  it devalues the accomplishment because it stops becoming about the conquering of a task and becomes a glorification of a person by them self.

When I try to do something good or great it is not for me. I do it for someone else to help humanity because I love humanity and I wish it to be better off.  It is about them and not about me. I do not wish to glorify myself. I wish to make the world a better place.

Jesus came and loved. He didn't stand upon an altar and say, "look at me. Kiss my feet and worship what is glorious before you". He humbly traveled from town to town and taught to those who wished to learn. He healed those that were ill. He often tried to avoid crowds when they became great. Jesus at one point took time and washed the feet of his disciples.

So with this as my example I move through each day looking to serve. In this season of Lent I try and sacrifice and show thanks for what I have. As I sacrifice it is a challenge buy I move around in love and try to show love. I maintain my peace and try to share it. I find happiness in each day and try to reflect and validate it for if I was to sacrifice and then lament and try to get attention for my suffering it would only cheapen my sacrifice. It makes my sacrifice less genuine. I sacrifice what I love to acknowledge what I have and my blessing and to become closer to God. I do not wish to cheapen that act for I want to show thanks and not just revel in glory here but to reach heaven where I will have the glorious company of God.

Matthew 6: 1 - 6, 16 - 18
1 "Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
2 "Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
3 But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4 so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
5 "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
16 "And when you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
17 But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,
18 that your fasting may not be seen by men but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.


No comments:

Post a Comment