Wednesday, October 18, 2017

"The Knife" - a Poem

Minding my own business
Doing what I was told
Just passing through the day
Sure it felt a little cold

Acting like Mom taught me
Being polite, yes sir, yes ma'am
Sure, I know I'm not perfect
But I've been trying for some years

No, wasn't a good day
There have been many better
But this wasn't the worst by far
It only hurts if you let it

With a smile upon my face 
And so did smile all the others
Did that knife enter my back
No one cared to be bothered

The pain was fast, sharp and deep
The blade it burned like none other
The worst part was it stayed there
In my back I couldn't reach it

I looked around for a bit of help
And of all the people that were around
No one would dare make eye contact
Let alone pull that knife out

Now please don't misunderstand me
This isn't some pity party
I knew this knife would come some day
He warned me fair enough

There's nothing for me to do now
Except keep loving on
I'll love even my assaulter
Cause that's what Jesus says

I know this may sound stupid
I know I sound naive' 
And I know hating's easy
And no one could quite blame me

But see now that's the problem
This world that loves to hate
Perhaps if we all took some time
We could love, not take the bait

So I'm gonna keep on loving
The best I very can
Sure I'm gonna mess up
Please pardon me if you can


No comments:

Post a Comment