Tuesday, June 7, 2016

TRASH THE JOINT! Wait, What?

Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier.This reminds me of a motto I used to have when I played in bands that played on different stages in different places. My motto was leave the stage in better shape than when you walked onto it. It was so easy to get done with the performance and just walk away with duct tape, trash, set-lists and junk left all over the place. Our performances were usually very physical and very taxing, walking off the stage or rather shuffling off the stage with whatever energy you had left over. But the problem is that when doing that you leave your mess to someone else. You leave someone else in charge of cleaning up after you. My thought was always that you should be respectful of the people who provided you with the stage and leave it just is clean if not cleaner than when you found it. The same goes with people, it's so easy to just go through your life and focus on your own desires needs and wants. Problem is, that does not leave for a very nice world. I find that when I walk through life focusing on only myself I leave a trail of trash behind whether it be physical, emotional or mental.
When focusing only on myself I plow through life like a speed boat across a still lake. Behind me I leave waves and a rather large wake, where I had once been. That wake in turn can create difficulties for others who try to pass along the same way. The world today encourages us to focus only on ourselves. However in a countercultural manner, God encourages us to love every single person we meet and to even sometimes deny our own desires to care for others. I find that when I do this an overwhelming sense of love and warmth penetrates every speck of my soul. It's almost like Christmas morning when I watch the people I love open the gifts that I give them. I eagerly wait for them to open and see what they have received and when I see the look of pure joy and satisfaction on their face I feel truly wonderful. God encourages us to love. He wants us to spread love on this world because love is truly the most important thing that matters. If we could all learn to love as God wants us to love we could easily ban sickness, pain, hunger and poverty in this world. We could actually create a little heaven here down on earth. Making others happier can be as easy as passing strangers on the sidewalk, locking eyes with them and smiling without saying a word. He can be as easy as touching base with that coworker that looks distressed and making sure that they're OK. It can be as easy as giving that homeless person the five dollars in your pocket that you really have no important need for. Changing the world and making it a better place is does not have to be any grand master plan. It can be a matter of many small, important and heartfelt things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment