Thursday, June 23, 2016

How Much Do You Tip Your Server?


Being a father of five children, and well let's just say a busy father of five children, I don't go out to eat very much. Going out to eat this something that I enjoyed in my youth, but anymore I just really like to stay home with my family. About once a month I do try to go out with my wife though and take her out on a date to let her know how much I appreciate her, and to also get her away from the kids before they drive her completely insane. Each time as we sit and dine I was pay close attention to my server. I'm not nitpicking or anything, but with me and my wife having both of been restaurant managers it is part of our nature. One of the qualities that I always find quite enchanting in a server is one who truly serves. Few people when they're young say they want to grow up and wait tables. Usually someone who's a server is doing so because they're in between positions in life. Perhaps they're going to school and so waiting tables is how they're paying their bills.  There are instances where someone will wait tables while they are looking for a better job. There are some who choose serving as a career because either they don't want to work full-time or they've never felt the pull to pursue an alternate professional career. Regardless of circumstances it is rather rare to have a server who truly loves to serve. I'm talking about the type of server who when they are speaking with you make you feel like you're the only one in the middle of a crowded restaurant. I'm talking about the type of server who exudes an attitude in which their number one mission is to make sure that your food is made so that you have the best possible dining experience. Such servers big exude a persona where they totally surrender to serving you fully as best they can. This is a very rare thing especially in our culture today. Waiting tables, for many, ranks right up there with being a janitor, so it's inspiring when you see such an attitude in someone who waits tables. 

The thing is we're all here to serve. The problem is most don't realize that. 

Personally I like to read, think and write, so I do this, not because I have to, partially because I want to, but mostly because I feel it is what God is calling me to do. God has given us each a set of talents and we all have a mission for our life. God calls on all of us, some of us refused to call, others can't hear the call and a few of us hear the call pick it up and run as hard as we can. If you choose to answer God's call it's not always easy. If you trust in God and are loyal to him he will always be by your side. If you stay true to God and train with him, you will find a peace and serenity that will carry you through even the most dire times. I know that there are probably many out there who are thinking they are "nobodies" and that God couldn't possibly use them for anything. Take for instance Moses, who was a step child, a murderer who couldn't speak well and yet God still used him to free entire nation out of slavery. 

The only person will never hold you back is you. God wants to build you up.

JER 1:4-10

In the days of King Josiah, the word of the LORD came to me, saying:

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I dedicated you,
a prophet to the nations I appointed you.

“Ah, Lord GOD!” I said,
“I know not how to speak; I am too young.”
But the LORD answered me,
Say not, “I am too young.”
To whomever I send you, you shall go;
whatever I command you, you shall speak.
Have no fear before them,
because I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.

Then the LORD extended his hand and touched my mouth, saying,

See, I place my words in your mouth!
This day I set you
over nations and over kingdoms,
to root up and to tear down,
to destroy and to demolish,
to build and to plant.

Know this, God loves you and you are important to him. God has been planning yourself salvation ever sense Eve took a bite out of that apple. God is the most wonderful father you will ever know. He will work tirelessly to save you. You are truly that important to him. However he will not save you if you do not come to him. God will not force his will on you. God does ask that you choose his will, but you are not a programmed robot to him. Because he loves you, he gave you free will so you get to choose, and if you so do choose you will not be let down. The grander waiting for you cannot be imagined. 

1 PT 1:8-12

Beloved:
Although you have not seen Jesus Christ you love him;
even though you do not see him now yet believe in him,
you rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy,
as you attain the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Concerning this salvation,
prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours
searched and investigated it,
investigating the time and circumstances
that the Spirit of Christ within them indicated
when he testified in advance
to the sufferings destined for Christ
and the glories to follow them.
It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you
with regard to the things that have now been announced to you
by those who preached the Good News to you
through the Holy Spirit sent from heaven,
things into which angels longed to look.


We all have roles to play but it's up to us to except them. How admit I've spent a large part of my life serving myself. Thing is, it never seemed like enough was enough. I always wanted more, I always wanted bigger, I always wanted better. For years I constantly chased a lifestyle that was empty hollow and cold. Sitting in my living room one night with my head sunk between my shoulders I realized that if I continued I would surely die. Of course we all die, but I didn't want to die cold and alone. I realized at that point my life meant nothing. I stood for nothing. So I prayed I prayed to God and I asked for forgiveness. I asked for guidance I asked for hope. Now my life didn't drastically change overnight, it took years and I'm still on the same journey. However I will tell you this the more I open my life to Jesus, each day each day that I build a stronger relationship with God I am happier. Each day that I call on The Holy Spirit and ask him to take part in my life the more serene I feel. I've had some rough times since my reawakening, but I have overcome them all with God by my side. Through each tragedy, whether it be minor or major, I have felt peace in the wake of the storm. I don't ever expect to be a grand person. I don't believe that I'll ever be an Elijah, a Moses, a John the Baptist or a king David, but I do believe my role is important and because I love God I search daily to serve God and my fellow man as lovingly and humbly as possible. Like a good server I never expect anything in return. I am just thankful that I have been given the opportunity to serve. I pray that through my face and my good works that God will allow me into heaven. Just as a good server hopes that they're due diligence in their service will allow them to pay their bills. There's never any guarantee how much you're going to walk out with at the end of the night. You can only serve with passion and receive the rewards.  You will never know what a wonderful life God has in store for you if you never let him into your life.

LK 1:5-17

In the days of Herod, King of Judea,
there was a priest named Zechariah
of the priestly division of Abijah;
his wife was from the daughters of Aaron,
and her name was Elizabeth.
Both were righteous in the eyes of God,
observing all the commandments
and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly.
But they had no child, because Elizabeth was barren
and both were advanced in years.
Once when he was serving
as priest in his division’s turn before God,
according to the practice of the priestly service,
he was chosen by lot
to enter the sanctuary of the Lord to burn incense.
Then, when the whole assembly of the people was praying outside
at the hour of the incense offering,
the angel of the Lord appeared to him,
standing at the right of the altar of incense.
Zechariah was troubled by what he saw, and fear came upon him.
But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zechariah,
because your prayer has been heard.
Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son,
and you shall name him John.
And you will have joy and gladness,
and many will rejoice at his birth,
for he will be great in the sight of the Lord.
John will drink neither wine nor strong drink.
He will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from his mother’s womb,
and he will turn many of the children of Israel
to the Lord their God.
He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah
to turn their hearts toward their children
and the disobedient to the understanding of the righteous,
to prepare a people fit for the Lord.”



No comments:

Post a Comment