Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Pleasure in Simplifying

This life is absolutely amazing. I thank each day that I am here. When I look out at the horizon and I see its beauty, I realize how much is possible. 

Problem is, sometimes I've taken in so much I over react. 

We live in a culture today where it seems like we're trying to cram as much as we possibly can into each and every second. Often times I chuckle and I think that America's slogan should be something along the lines of, "The most bang for your buck." Here in America we live in a culture where so much is possible and so much of it seems like it's available instantly. So much so that we get immensely annoyed when they ask us to pull up to the yellow line at the drive-through. It seems like our culture wants everything and it wants it right now.

A few years ago I decided I wanted to seriously pursue my musical career. I had dreams and aspirations of becoming a big-time songwriter. I made a demo some of my songs and I started sending them out. I realized that many of the people I would be contacting would have a lot more experience in the music industry than myself. So one of my requests was to ask for any feedback on the music that I created. One of the professionals that I contacted was kind enough to reply and ensued a dialogue with me. They had some very poignant feedback and asked what I was working on at the moment. I explained that I was working on three different albums at the same time. I was working on a pop type album, an alternative rock record and  a heavy metal album. Said professional asked me who I was working with and I explained that I was working alone. I stated that I had my own studio and that I would write, record, engineer, produce and play all the instruments myself. 

I can only imagine the facial expressions and the initial reaction on the other side of the email. The message I received in return was that I needed to simplify. The response was professionally written and with much compassion. Basically I was told that I was taking on too much at one time. I was told that it's a common theme that talented people often take on too much. Said talented person will become moderately successful in one area and will take on other projects, for their moderate success in one area leads to another and a talented person will become a jack of all trades's. Unfortunately they will become expert at none and mediocre in all. 

Let's just say that's not exactly what I wanted to hear, but after much thought realized the wisdom in those words.

As I've tried to become a better person a better Christian, a better Catholic, I have heard the same thing again and again and again. 

Simplify

We have about 7.4 billion people on this planet, no one needs to be a jack of all trades. There is plenty of talent to go around. Do I believe that means we shouldn't pursue the things we are passionate about? No, but I think we should be mindful that the more things we take on the less we become good at everything we do try to do. It is quite impossible for me to be the best father, the best husband I can possibly be all at the same time trying to be a Grammy award-winning song writer, a world renowned blogger and a expert level luthier. 

If I want to be successful I need to simplify.

Over the past few years I've decided to put all my focus on God.  I work each day trying to build the best relationship with Jesus Christ I possibly can. I make sure that I consult the Holy Spirit on a regular basis and try to listen to his guidance as I go through each day. I try to take everything in my wonderful beautiful life and point it towards God. That is how I try to simplify. I realized some time ago that Gods number one priority is for me to be happy. Just as I am with my children I realize that God is with his children he wants them to be happy.  There is enough craziness going on in this world. The last thing God wants is for you to over complicate your life. 

God's desire is simple. He wants 2 things, one for you to love him with all your mind body and soul, and two for you to love everyone you meet as you love yourself. Now that is a pretty tall order but it is simple. I find that life is always so much more peaceful when I leave the complex things up to God. When I love my children I try to love them as God wants me to. I love my wife as God wants me to. Whether I am at my day job, making music, fixing things around the house or merely relaxing I try to do all things as God wants me to. When I find that I am becoming stressed out many times it is because I am trying to put too many things in my life and those things are crowding God out. 

God wants you to simplify he wants you to bring everything to him. He wants to have a close relationship with you. He wants you to have a very close relationship with his son Jesus. God wants you to call on his Holy Spirit whenever you are in need. God desires nothing more than to be there for you at all times. 

He loves you that much. 

I realize now that when I spend time with God, when I pray to him, I don't have to try and sound grand and great. God already knows what's on my mind before I speak, but he wants to hear it from me. He desires your company just as he desires mine. So when I speak with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit I keep it simple. I don't try to use big pretty frilly words. I don't try to impress him with my vocabulary. I just lay it all out there on the line, plain and simple.

I'm going to warn you though simplicity isn't simple, especially when you live in a culture that encourages you to get the most bang out of your buck. I don't think that there has been a month that has gone by where I haven't had to press pause, examine what I'm doing, where I want to go and then simplify again. 

But it's OK God is always there waiting to help. 

He's waiting for you right now to talk to you, to spend time with you, to help you find the simple life that will make you happy.

MT 6:7-15

Jesus said to his disciples:
“In praying, do not babble like the pagans,
who think that they will be heard because of their many words.
Do not be like them.
Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

“This is how you are to pray:

‘Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.’

“If you forgive others their transgressions,
your heavenly Father will forgive you.
But if you do not forgive others,
neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.”

No comments:

Post a Comment