Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Great Thing About Teenagers?

< Check out this book!

I am lucky, I have a teenaged son. Now those of you who have teenagers at home maybe scratching your head thinking, "What is this guy nuts. I wish my teen would flip back to the easy days of elementary school or fast forward and run off to college. At least I could have my bathroom back." I will not lie, there are times when I find myself challenged by my son, but every once in a while when things get tense I get the urge to stop and take a breath and realize, "Hey he needs me. This is part of my purpose here on earth. Man up and be the Dad you are needed to be." Being a father to a teen really  grounds me, mostly because many of the mistakes he makes are ones that I make, or come close to making each day. I might not leave my dirty clothes on the floor, but I do have to be careful not to take advantage of my wonderful wife. I might not break the lawn mower cause I am being careless, I may hurt someone I love by not paying attention to what I am saying. My teenager needs me wether he wants to admit it or not. Just like I need God wether I realize it or not. The days I get off track and act like a jerk are the days I disconnect from God. The days that I loose my patience are usually the days I don't take time to read Jesus' teachings. The days that I am weak and fall to temptation are usually the days that I don't ask for help from the Holy Spirit. I am far from perfect and in my past I was well on my way to being sinner of profound status, but with God's help I can become the best I can be. When I read Jesus' teachings I learn to love and respect others like I should. When I pray and ask for help the Holy Spirit aids me and keeps me on the right path. God is my father and best confidant. I may not always like what he has to say to me, but deep down I know its right. So if I ever feel like I am falling or teetering close to the edge all I got to do is call. I pray to God. I ask for his advice. I read the teachings of Jesus Christ. I attend mass and take part in the wonderful sacraments that God has given to me as gifts. I don't deserve them, but thats not the point. God loves me and he knows what I can become with his help. Like any good friend I keep him close, and because he is a good father I do my best to heed his advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment