Wednesday, November 18, 2015

How Do You Wash the Dishes?

Check out great resouces here.
I remember when I was young my mother came to me one night and asked me to wash the dishes, and so I did. About 10 minutes after I was done she called me back into the kitchen. “I thought I asked you to wash the dishes?”, she asked. I thought I had. See I had washed the dishes but I didn’t do any of the pots or pans used to make dinner. I didn’t wipe down the stove or the counters. I didn’t put anything away. Life is like that a lot of times. After I had completed everything like my mother wanted the kitchen shined. It in its own way was beautiful. I felt pride. I felt love. Left to my own accord I haven't faired very well. I rode through life on my natural talents and abilities but I didn’t refine them. I did alright but I never really accomplished anything meaningful. I did do a great job of feeding my own ego but my spiritual, emotional, physical and intellectual sides of me sat unused or wasted away. It wasn’t until I opened my eyes with my face flat on the floor that I realized that I needed more. 

I didn’t think that I was anyone special, at least not at that point in my life. My life was just mess and to be honest the only way to go for me at the at point was up. I couldn't bear sinking any lower. I asked for help. I asked for God’s help, and he didn’t turn me away just like he will not turn you away. He picked me up and stood by me. There were a few times when I tried to mess things all up again but he was patient and stood by me. God loved me. Jesus taught me. The Holy Spirit empowered me. As I cleaned up my life I began to feel pride. I realized that I was a person, not a piece of trash. I realized that my life was not my own. My body was a gift from God. I was ashamed how I had taken care of my gift and still to this day I regularly try to improve how I take care of this body.

As I looked back through my life and I realized I had talents. God had given me a place in this world. For quite some time I had been using those talents in a selfish way. I was ashamed. I asked God for his forgiveness and I started trying to use those talents to glorify God and not myself. I learned that I become the best I can be when I let God be my coach. I learn that I become the person I can be when I love as Jesus taught. I learned I can be the best I can be when I ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and then follow it. 

For some time I thought that I had to find that “BIG THING” I was meant to do. Was I to write a book? Was a to write an album? Was I to paint glorious paintings? Was I to teach? What?! What was I supposed to do. I learned that the one thing that I was to do was not just one thing, but one life. I was to live a life for God. I was to take the gift of God’s love and share that with the world. I was to show compassion for everyone I meet. Wether I was having a great day or a terrible one I was to love and show compassion the way God showed me and at every turn I could share that God is waiting to come into everyones life. God is waiting to come into your life right now, at this moment. He loves you so much he wants to be a part of of every single second of every single day. 

The 12 Apostles that Jesus chose were common men, but they accomplished so much by saying, “Yes”. They accomplished so much by accepting Jesus into their lives and following the will of God. They have as I have found peace, happiness, serenity and faith. I am no special person with special “powers”. I am a child of God just like you. I have talents and abilities that God has given me, just like you. I do my best to use them God’s way. Am I perfect? No, I sin just like everyone else, but God is waiting for me to get up, ask for forgiveness and ask for his council so that I can become the best I can be God’s way.  Just imagine what God has in store for you? Imagine what you can do with God guidance, tutelage and help. Imagine what  you can achieve with him, Jesus and the Holy Spirit on your team. Question is, what do you want to do?

Michael
Whisper Behind the light

obbo_91@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment