Monday, May 23, 2016

How is Your Life? "Just Nice" or AMAZING!

There are things in life that escape me. Actually there are things in life that escape us all. One of my talents that I have been given is that of an artist. I love to create. In different mediums and in different ways. Recently it was my anniversary and I decided to make breakfast for everyone. Within moments I was cooking up a storm. Now most things were rather self made. Sausage, waffles, the drinks, toast and the like, but the eggs were different. I had an opportunity to really have a go at those eggs. So peering through the fridge like an artist does with a pallet of color I grabbed a little bit of this and that and executed my batch. While I got many compliments on my eggs it just seemed as though something was missing, and that bugged me. It's like after coming in from the studio and looking at one of my family members and asking them, "how did the band sound today?"

"It sounded nice", is a dreaded reply.

Many of us in this world wish to achieve all we can and deep down we know when something is missing. Being ourselves it can be hard to see what is missing because we are in the middle of everything. We don't have the ability to step away and find that clarity of a bird's eye view. This is where Jesus comes in so handy. By reading the Gospels I get  a personal check each day I make time to read. I have other "coaches" that help me as well with the same spiritual point of view. I am so thankful and so invaluable. If you ask the average person what a Christian is supposed to do and be you will hear a long list of rules and regulations, though in actuality it is very simple. To be a Christian is to love. Love God with all your mind, body and soul and love everyone else you meet as you love yourself. Close study of the 10 commandments reveals this to me. Loving is easy. What makes it hard is our egos. Our pride, our self-worth makes it hard. 

"Why should I give that homeless bum on the corner the 10$ in my pocket?", I ask sometimes. The answer, because she/he is a person. A brother or sister in humanity that was put on this planet just like me. Who should be loved just like me. Who should be cared for just like me. Who deserves deserves mercy and compassion just like me. Why should I give the homeless person 10$? Because as a Christian I am called to love and to love is to care for those in need.  I sometimes try and legitimize not giving my money. "I need that! I deserve that! I worked hard for that 10$! But that is not love speaking. 

To be honest it's hard being Christian, but with Jesus' help I succeed. When I try to be a Christian on my own I fail, so why be a Christian? Because I find peace, when I follow the discipline of Jesus Christ I find peace, serenity and happiness. I still have bad days. Actually I still have bad weeks, but I find that in following Jesus I can take all the world has to give and deal with it. If I ask and follow Jesus I get the grace to overcome anything. If I find stress wiggling in, its usually because I have allowed myself to get distracted and have stopped following Jesus' way. Anyone can have this peace. Anyone can find eternity in Heaven with God. For some it is harder than others but that is why God is standing there waiting, to help. That's why Jesus came to earth, to teach us the way. That is why the Holy Spirit is sent to us, to give us strength in our times of need, but we have to ask. We have to choose. Do we choose the world and Satan's ways, or do we choose God's ways. Do we feed our own desires or do we choose to love, moment by moment, day by day, week by week and year by year. Will we make mistakes? Yes, for NO Christian is perfect, and that is what Jesus is there for. He is waiting to give us forgiveness if we truly seek it. Jesus wants to heal our wounded souls so that we can learn and grow and continue our journey home into heaven, If we choose.

Gospel MK 10:17-27

As Jesus was setting out on a journey, a man ran up,
knelt down before him, and asked him,
“Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
Jesus answered him, “Why do you call me good?
No one is good but God alone.
You know the commandments: You shall not kill;
you shall not commit adultery;
you shall not steal;
you shall not bear false witness;
you shall not defraud;
honor your father and your mother.”

He replied and said to him,
“Teacher, all of these I have observed from my youth.” 
Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said to him,
“You are lacking in one thing.
Go, sell what you have, and give to the poor
and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.”
At that statement, his face fell,
and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

Jesus looked around and said to his disciples,
“How hard it is for those who have wealth
to enter the Kingdom of God!”
The disciples were amazed at his words.
So Jesus again said to them in reply,
“Children, how hard it is to enter the Kingdom of God!
It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle
than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God.”
They were exceedingly astonished and said among themselves,
“Then who can be saved?”
Jesus looked at them and said,
“For men it is impossible, but not for God.
All things are possible for God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment