Friday, January 9, 2015

With the Lights Out/ Do You Brag or Share?


“I did this. I did that. I am so great. Everyone should marvel at me.” Do you know somebody that sounds like this sometimes. I know that I am guilty of sounding like this in the past and because I am flawed and dumb I’ll probably do it again though I try not to. Its nice to rejoice in an accomplishment but when gears shift and someone ends up in full on BRAG mode it gets annoying. There is something to be said for humility. I know that most of the people I hear speaking admire those that can do great and loving deeds but just let the deed be its own reward. When good deeds do not get tainted by bragging they have so much more weight behind them. They even often inspire others to do good deeds as well. God doesn’t want us to brag about the good things we do. What he does want is for us to to be thankful for the good deeds we receive. You should feel no hesitation in sharing about how someone or God helped you. That sharing spreads love, hope and faith. Over and over again God works in our lives and grants us gifts. All he wants in return is belief in him and love. God sent Jesus his son, who gave, gave and then gave until his death, with his death and still does after his death. God sends the Holy Spirit to help us in our daily callings, but are we listening? Are we accepting God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit? Do we allow ourselves to be inspired and to help spread a little Heaven on earth by paying it forward? This morning I awoke to utter silence. The power was out and below freezing temps were outside. After waiting a bit I got up, put on 4 layers of clothes and commenced starting the backup generator so that my family could stay warm and safe. After about an hour of work I got everything up and running all set to go, and the power came back on. I packed everything up and put everything away. I could have been mad, but instead I was thankful. I even chuckled a bit. I looked to the sky and thanked God. I don’t know who was out in the cold like me working to get everyone in the area power again but I was thankful for them and that God gave them to us with the wisdom, knowledge and ability to help. Thank you power company employee(s). I thankfully share for the gifts I receive each day. For they are all wonderful and all from God.

Luke 5:12-16

12While he was in one of the cities, there came a man full of leprosy; and when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and besought him, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean." 13And he stretched out his hand, and touched him, saying, "I will; be clean." And immediately the leprosy left him. 14And he charged him to tell no one; but "go and show yourself to the priest, and make an offering for your cleansing, as Moses commanded, for a proof to the people." 15But so much the more the report went abroad concerning him; and great multitudes gathered to hear and to be healed of their infirmities. 16But he withdrew to the wilderness and prayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment